/ Asked by T
The company I interned with last summer gave me an offer to come back. But they gave me a short time frame to accept. I would like to go to another company. But I fear that I may not get any other offers. Can I accept my previous companies offer, so that I have a guaranteed offer, but then go to a different company if I get a better offer?
Answered by Sara, Hiring Expert at Grace, on Tuesday, October 4, 2016
My best advice for you is to decide what is best for you and your career, if you were not happy an as intern at that company then you would probably not be happy as an employee. If you would like to go to another company to obtain additional experience then should politely decline and continue to pursue other opportunities. The one item I would not do is accept the current offer you have if you do not intend on starting with that company. This is a very small world and integrity is integral as you continue to build your network. Good luck
Answered by Ashley, Hiring Expert at Cardinal Health, on Wednesday, October 5, 2016
I would not recommend accepting the offer if you have intentions to continue seeking out other opportunities. Based on your internship experience, you have to decide if you would want to continue a full-time career at the company. If you have any doubts about returning to a full-time position, I would recommend declining the offer and not using it as a back-up. If you are seriously considering the offer but still want to explore other opportunities to keep your options open, that is completely fair. If that is the case, I would recommend reaching out to the recruiter and explain your situation and ask if there is flexibility for an offer extension. Not all companies may have this flexibility, but it doesn't hurt to ask and be honest. A company will respect that decision more than they would if you decided to renege your acceptance at a later date.
Answered by Traci, Hiring Expert at Accenture, on Tuesday, October 11, 2016
Congratulations on your offer! This is very typical of an offer to join full time post-internship and the time frame is very much there for a reason, but often negotiable. Most times a company will put an expiration date on your offer because they need to know within a reasonable amount of time, and with enough time to prepare, if they’ll have fill that position should you choose not to accept. Especially if you’re coming into an entry level position from a college campus, many recruiters are working on a limited recruitment timeline at their schools. I will tell you, we get it. We know that you may want to “shop around” for other positions, a different fit, more money, etc., and to help balance our needs with yours, we need to have a date in mind. As I had mentioned above though, its oftentimes negotiable, and you should choose that route and exhaust your options before accepting with the intention of declining once something better comes along. In the interest of answering your question, I will tell you that yes, you can accept and then later decline your offer, but you won’t be making any friends. Also, before doing so, be sure to read your employment contract first in the case that they have written any rules about this is before you sign.
Answered by Beamer, Hiring Expert at Textron Inc., on Wednesday, October 12, 2016
Hello, this is a very important question when searching for a summer internship or entry level position. If you have the mindset that you are interested in pursuing opportunities at a company other than where you interned, I do not recommend that you accept their offer. You do not want to accept the offer and renege, as it could affect potential business relationships in the future. There may also be implications from your university if you renege internship or job offers. If you are not interested in working for the company now, you will not be put forth your best effort if you return. My recommendation is that you continue to search for an opportunity at a company you are more interested in. Good luck with your search!
Real Time Web Analytics