/ Asked by K
I graduated fall 2011 with a BS in Construction Management and a minor in Business Administration. My parent works for a foreign government and carries a diplomatic visa (A2). Due to that I cannot work. I was out of US from 2012 to 2013 and I'm trying to get and internship. Would my A2 visa status prevent me from getting any kind of internship whether paid or unpaid?
Answered by Stephanie, Hiring Expert at Asurion, on Monday, July 20, 2015
I must admit I'm not an expert on this subject matter. For the most accurate information, you should consult a professional at the US Dept. of State. That being said, my understanding is that you would need to change your VISA type to qualify for employment in the states. Perhaps you can look into opportunities to shadow professionals in your desired career field for a certain amount of time. This may be a good way to meet professionals, improve your current skill set and learn new skills too without officially being employed somewhere. 
Answered by John, Hiring Expert at DuPont, on Tuesday, July 28, 2015
Really good question.

I am not an expert in this area either.  Given your graduation a few years ago, I believe you would need to have an employer sponsor you for a position (but I must admit, that I do not know how the A2 comes into play here).  As you probably know, there are a limited number of employers who support visas for BS graduates.  

I would suggest that you consider going back to your home country to get experience in your field of study, if that is an option for you.

All the best.  

Answered by Rachel, Hiring Expert at Eaton, on Tuesday, October 20, 2015
I would suggest contacting the US Department of State or an immigration attorney but you should be able to file a Form I-566 and gain approval.  Along with the form you will need to submit the following:

 - A statement by the diplomatic mission certifying the relationship between you and your dependent, and that your assignment is expected to last more than six months

- A statement from the prospective employer describing the position and salary, and certifying that your dependent has the necessary skills and the required qualifications for the position

 You can obtain an copy of the form and the instructions therein by going to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website and downloading the form (http://www.uscis.gov/i-566).   
Real Time Web Analytics